Salary: $18.70 to $20.70 /hour
Casual Staff – Threshold Housing and Supported Recovery Program
Director of Program Services & Manager of the Supported Recovery Program
The Casual staff position at Threshold Housing Society would cover positions in both the Threshold Housing shared houses as well as the Supported Recovery Program. The Casual Staff position is responsible for providing a caring, supportive presence within Threshold programs and houses. The Casual position will provide support to youth, liaise with community service providers, ensure that youth service agreements are being honoured, and that the house is secure and clean.
Duties and responsibilities
· Work directly with youth in a trauma-informed manner to develop and maintain a harm reduction approach;
· Work one on one with youth regarding individualized life skills goals including maintaining their space, personal hygiene, cooking etc;
· Supporting youth to attend appointments in the community;
· Assist youth in accessing outside services and agencies, working with THS team to do referrals;
· Keep abreast of all current social concerns and youth issues, and as required attend professional development activities to remain informed regarding issues for at-risk youth and up to date best Practices in Youth Recovery Programming;
· Assist other members of the Threshold team in establishing a trusting, non-judgmental, non-exploitative rapport with youth;
· Provide immediate response and management of crisis situations; this includes contacting resources appropriate to the situation during regular work hours and after hours as required;
· Will participate in check in’s with the Supervisor or other Support Staff prior to starting a shift in order to be informed of the status and needs of each youth and any issues that warrant observation;
· Daily reporting and case management notes;
· To be diligent with paperwork, e-mails and communication with Threshold staff;
· Medication delivery;
· Additional tasks as assigned.
· Maintain the safety and security of the house when on shift; perform perimeter check of house;
· In the event of an emergency, to contact the appropriate service immediately (EMS, police, fire), and report to all Supervisory Staff as soon as possible;
· Enforce house guidelines and rules followed by residents when on shift;
· Maintain the daily routine of the home, coordinate resident chores, and advise the Supervisor of any maintenance repairs required at the house;
· To maintain the main floor and common areas of the house in a tidy and clean manner beyond the chore requirements of the residents by following a cleaning checklist; tasks achieved must be logged at end of shift;
· Receive any communication from neighbors, community agencies and other contacts and relay any requested follow-up to the Supervisor. Ensure the message is communicated clearly;
· When necessary, to draft and issue letters of warning and/or eviction to residents;
· At times, accepts responsibility for tasks as required by Supervisor, Director of Program Services and Executive Director which are not outlined in the job description but which are an important part of the agency’s goals and/or program outcomes.
Education & Experience
· Possess a relevant bachelor degree such as Social Work or Child & Youth Care and will have a minimum of 2-3 years experience working with vulnerable populations and at-risk youth. Other combinations of education, experience and training may be considered;
· Experience working within the recovery and addiction community, knowledge of SMART Recovery programming is an asset;
· Experience facilitating programming is an asset;
· ASIST training
· NVCI training
Proven Skills and Abilities
· Knowledge of recovery and addiction supports and principles;
· Demonstrated knowledge and approach to working with at-risk youth under a harm reduction principle, trauma informed and strength based practice;
· Demonstrated proactive approach to connecting and building relationships with at-risk youth;
· Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with youth, and youth who are at risk or street involved;
· Extensive experience working with youth and young adults experiencing life at the margins;
· Knowledge of mental health and behavioral issues;
· An ability to meet youth where they are at and an understanding of the impacts of trauma on human development; ability to provide leadership and healthy role modeling to youth;
· Understanding/sensitivity to various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds of the clients the agency serves;
· Ability to maintain appropriate boundaries in the workplace and to work professionally (ethically) especially regarding matters of confidentiality;
· Flexible shifts that mainly encompass afternoons, evenings, overnight and weekends. It may be the case that you will be called in during sickness, stat holidays, vacation time or other contingencies;
· Work from multiple site locations.
· Attend training regarding medication dispensing
· Ability to work independently and as a member of a wraparound care team.
· Up-to-date Emergency 1st Aid certificate;
· Able to provide up to date Immunization records
· Must have a Criminal Record Review Check completed by and satisfactory to Threshold as well as sign Code of Conduct, Confidentiality Agreement and Sexual Misconduct Form.
Part-time hours: 10 per week